Sunday, December 23, 2007

Heed the call

In my course of just going around the web, I came upon The Official Google Blog's latest post, basically it is saying to turn off your computer for the holidays, that being an office one if you won't be back for a little while, even a day or two. They do apply the same for home PCs. This should be the case anytime, and also if you'll be away from your home PC for the holidays. They suggest sleep mode, but I'd say complete shutdown would be best. It also states not using a screensaver, and instead having the monitor go into sleep mode after a few minutes of being idle. Especially nowadays with LCD monitors that do not even need a screensaver as it is.

This all reminds me of black Google, and the energy that would be saved if Google switched to a black site instead of white. I don't see this happening, but they should make a choice at the very least. I think this mostly applies to old CRT monitors, but everything adds up.

No comments: