Monday, December 24, 2007

Give cash, not gift cards!

I read recently how some gift cards would now have a fee of some sort so that if not used x amount is taken off, say something like $2. Probably more like $2.95 or $2.50. Anyway, I just came upon this article, basically advising people to give cash instead of gift cards. This from the Consumers' Association of Canada. They cite fees, like I mentioned, along with expiry dates, and generally going unused. If one was left with a couple dollars, that likely would have a good chance of going unused at most stores. Multiply that by many thousand cards, and any 'administrative' fees, and ones with bigger sums that go unused, and that equals nice profit for big retailers.

So anyway, as the title suggests, give cash, not gift cards, I might also suggest cheques. I'd take a nice brand new 50 or 100 dollar bill over a gift card! One may be more likely to use it at many places, I suppose it depends, but at least it would get used, and small amounts can easily be used too!

No comments: